India eVisa Requirements for Australian Citizens
In 2014, the government of India introduced an electronic visa application program to facilitate the process of obtaining a visa for the country for over 170 nationalities, including Australians.
The India e-Visa allows Australian passport holders to apply for a visa and receive approval exclusively online. It is available as either a tourist visa, business visa, or a visa for medical treatment and to accompany a patient seeking medical care in India.
Is an Indian eVisa Obligatory for Australian Citizens?
According to the Indian visa policy, all nationals of Australia need an approved visa to visit India no matter the duration of their intended stay or the motive for traveling to the country.
The Indian eVisa application for Australians is available to travelers who wish to obtain a visa for short stays in India for:
- Tourism activities such as sightseeing, visiting friends or family, undertaking a short yoga programme, or transiting through India on a cruise
- Business purposes, such as to attend meetings, conferences, workshops, or symposiums, or for contact negotiations or recruitment activities in India
- Receiving medical treatment in India or for up to 2 companions who wish to accompany the patient to India from Australia (only available for children who are the patient).
All of these India online visa types for Australian citizens are issued as a multiple-entry visa for India, with the exception of the Medical eVisa, which is a triple-entry visa.
India eVisas’ validity for Australians
The period of permitted stay and validity of each eVisa type is as follows:
- Tourist eVisa (multiple entry) – 90 consecutive days per entry, valid for 365 days from approval
- Tourist eVisa (double entry) – allows a total stay of 30 days across 2 entries to India
- Business eVisa – 180 days in the country during its 1-year validity
- Medical eVisa – 60-day consecutive stay per entry, valid for 120 days from issue. The second and third must be within 60 days of the first.
To visit India for other purposes or longer consecutive stays than those permitted with an Indian eVisa, it is necessary to contact an embassy or consulate of India in Australia for further information.
India eVisa Benefits for Australians
The India eVisa application allows Australian citizens to:
- Apply for a visa from India from the comfort of your own home in just a few minutes
- Upload supporting documents in paper form
- Receive an approved eVisa sent by email, removing the need to make an appointment to collect a document from an embassy or consulate
- Pay the eVisa fee through a secure online system using a credit/debit card
- Gain expedited entry to India upon arrival at a border checkpoint simply by presenting a copy of the approved eVisa.
Additionally, the online Indian visa for Australians allows the holder to enter India through any of the following air or seaports:
Seaports: Chennai, Cochin, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai.
Airports: Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Madurai, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum, Varanasi, Visakhapatnam.
Moreover, holders of an India eVisa for Australian citizens are able to exit India through any authorized checkpoint.
However, those who wish to enter India on a cruise from Australia should note that they may only do so through the Cochin, Goa, and Mangalore seaports with an approved eVisa.
eVisa Requirements for Australian Citizens to Travel to India
The online India visa requirements for Australian citizens state that eVisa applicants must have the following documents:
- Valid Australian passport containing two blank pages and being valid for at least 6 months from arrival date
- Digital image of information page of the same passport
- Photograph of the Australian applicant, recently taken and passport-style
- Business card containing details of the host company in India (Business e-Visa only)
- Invitation letter from a hospital or medical center in India (Medical e-Visa only).
Additionally, Australian applicants for the India eVisa must also supply a credit or debit card to pay the visa processing fee. A current email address must also be provided. Once approved, the eVisa for India is sent to this email inbox.
What to do if one of your eVisa India documents from Australia expires?
It is necessary to have an Australian passport valid for at least 6 months from the intended arrival date in India to successfully submit an eVisa application.
If you notice that your passport issued by the Australian government does not have this length of validity and will expire sooner, you may need to first renew your passport before beginning the India eVisa application protocol.